Dr. Catalina Munteanu
Rudower Chaussee 16, Room 2'202
+49 (0)30 2093-6874
+49 (0)30 2093-6848
Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin, Germany
|since 2016||Postdoctoral researcher at the Geography Department, Humboldt‐University Berlin, Germany. Advisor: Tobias Kuemmerle|
|since 2016||Postdoctoral fellow at Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies, Halle, Germany. Advisor: Daniel Müller|
2012 - 2016
PhD, Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA. Advisor: Volker Radeloff
2005 - 2008
Magistra rerum naturalium, University of Innsbruck, Austria, Institute of Geography
2004 - 2005
|Erasmus Socrates Programme at University of Innsbruck, Austria, Institute of Geography|
2002 - 2008
Babeş-Bolyai-University, Cluj Napoca, Romania, Faculty of Geography,
A detailed CV can be found here.
The ecological legacy of our ancestors is deeply engraved in the environment today; so as a society, we bear a great environmental responsibility for generations to come. My research aims to understand the land use legacies in our contemporary environment, in order to inform better conservation and land management decisions in the future. I study the Carpathian region – one of the most ecologically and culturally diverse ecosystems in Europe.
Follow me on Twitter: @catalinamunte
I like to spend my free time outdoors (cycling, mountaineering, hiking, skiing or gardening). I am also a practical spirit and enjoy putting my hands at work: whether it is small repairs or handcrafting. I love to cook and share food with friends!
- Munteanu C, Pidgeon A, Radeloff V C (in preparation): Conservation recommendations for the protection of bird habitat in the Carpathian Ecoregion, in light of long term land use trends. Conservation Biology
- Munteanu C, Kuemmerle T, Boltiziar M, Halada L, Kaim D, Király G, Konkoly-Gyuró E, Kozak J, Lieskovsky J, Mojses M, Müller D, Ostafin K, Ostapowicz K, Radeloff VC (in review): 19th century land use legacies affect agricultural abandonment, Regional Environmental Change Special Issue.
- Loran C, Munteanu C, Verburg P H, Schmatz D, Bürgi M, Zimmermann N (in review): Long-term change in drivers of forest cover dynamics: an analysis for Switzerland (1850-2000), Regional Environmental Change. Special Issue.
- Feurdean A, Munteanu C, Kuemmerle T, Nielsen AB, Hutchinson SM, Ruprecht E, Persoiu A, Parr K, Hickler T (in press) Effects of socio-political transformations on semi-natural grasslands in Transilvania (CE Europe), based on pollen and historical land survey. Regional Environmental Change.
- Butsic V, Munteanu C, Griffiths P, Knorn J, Radeloff V C, Lieskovský J, Müller D, Kuemmerle T (2016) The impact of protected areas on forest disturbance in the Carpathian Mountains 1985-2010. Conservation Biology, DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12835
- Alix-Garcia J, Munteanu C, Zhao N, Potapov AV, Prishchepov AV, Radeloff VC, Krylov A, Bragina E (2016) Drivers of forest cover change in Eastern Europe and European Russia, 1985–2012, Land Use Policy 59, 284-297
- Munteanu, C., Nita, M. D., Abrudan, I. V., & Radeloff, V. C. (2016). Historical forest management in Romania is imposing strong legacies on contemporary forests and their management. Forest Ecology and Management, 361: 179-193.
- Kaim, D., J. Kozaka, N. Koleckaa, E. Ziółkowskaa, K. Ostafina, K. Ostapowicza, U. Gimmi, C. Munteanu, and V.C. Radeloff (2016). Broad scale forest cover reconstruction from historical topographic maps. Applied Geography, 67: 39-48.
Munteanu C, Kuemmerle T, Keuler NS, Müller D, Balázs P, Dobosz M, Griffiths P, Halada L, Kaim D, Király G, Konkoly-Gyuró E, Kozak J, Lieskovsky J, Ostafin K, Ostapowicz K, Sandra O, Radeloff VC (2015). Legacies of 19th century land use shape contemporary forest cover. Global Environmental Change, 34: 83-94.
- Griffith, P., T. Kuemmerle, M. Baumann, V. C. Radeloff, I. V. Abrudan, J. Lieskovsky, C. Munteanu, K. Ostapowicz, and P. Hostert. 2014. Forest disturbances, forest recovery, and changes in forest types across the Carpathian ecoregion from 1985 to 2010 based on Landsat image composites. Remote Sensing of Environment, 151: 72-88.
- Munteanu, C., T. Kuemmerle, M. Boltiziar, V. Butsic, U. Gimmi, L. Halada, D. Kaim, G. Kiraly, E. Konkoly-Gyuro, J. Kozak, J. Lieskovsky, M. Mojses, D. Mueller, K. Ostafin, K. Ostapowicz, O. Shandra, P. Stych, S. Walker, V.C. Radeloff. 2014. Forest and agricultural land change in the Carpathian region - A meta-analysis of long-term patterns and drivers of change. Land Use Policy, 38 : 685-97.
A full publication list is included in my CV.